NuFace, Foreo Bear, and Ziip – Are they worth the price tag?
Microcurrent devices are all over social media lately, but do they meet the hype check? I review the science on microcurrent devices in this video (in painstaking detail). Let me know your experience with these devices in the comments!
My final thoughts: We need double-blinded randomized controlled trials to evaluate these devices. Here’s how it’s done – Non-working devices are used on the control group and then real devices are used on the treatment group. Next, an INDEPENDENT reviewer that does not know which device was used evaluates the subjects. Unfortunately, when the person evaluating the results knows which subject was treated or which side of the face was treated, this leads to inherent bias and is a much weaker form of investigation!
Shop my favorite products*:
*Affiliate links (Commission-based) help support the channel*
1. Kahn DM, et al. Overview of current thoughts on facial volume and aging. Facial Plast Surg. 2010
2. Cotofana S. et al. Anatomy of the Aging Face: A Review. Facial Plast Surg. 2016
3. Kavanagh S, Use of a neuromuscular stimulation device for facial muscle toning: a randomized, controlled trial. J Cosmet Dermatology 2012
4. Fujiya H, et al. Microcurrent electrical neuromuscular stimulation facilitates regeneration of injured skeletal muscle in mice. J Sports Sci Med. 2015
5. Lee RC, et al. A review of the biophysical basis for the clinical application of electric fields in soft-tissue repair. J Burn Care Rehabil. 1993
6. Alam M. Association of Facial Exercise With the Appearance of Aging. JAMA Dermatol. 2018
7. Ibrahim ZM, et al. Negative pressure wound therapy versus microcurrent electrical stimulation in wound healing in burns. J Wound Care. 2019
8. Kwon DR, et al. Short-term microcurrent electrical neuromuscular stimulation to improve muscle function in the elderly: A randomized, double-blinded, sham-controlled clinical trial. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017
9. Lee S, et al. A prospective examination of the efficacy of 2 noninvasive devices for treatment of the aging face. Arch Facial Plast Surg. 2006
10. Gosain AK, et al. A volumetric analysis of soft-tissue changes in the aging midface using high-resolution MRI: implications for facial rejuvenation. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2005